David M. SternMediator / Arbitrator
David M. Stern is a litigation attorney, specializing in business litigation, bankruptcy, reorganization and creditor's remedies. He is a founding member of Klee, Tuchin, Bogdanoff & Stern LLP. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 1995. Mr. Stern has widely written and lectured on issues of federal civil practice and discovery and co-authored the two-volume treatise, California Civil Discovery Practice (1988 and 1998 editions), published by the Continuing Education of the Bar through the University of California. Among his other writings are “Recent Developments in Truth in Lending Class Actions and Proposed Alternatives,” 27 Stanford Law Review 101, "Law Firm Bankruptcies," 37 Litigation 8 and “Mediation: An Old Dog With Some New Tricks,” 24 Litigation 31.
Education & Background
- Stanford University Law School, J.D., 1975; elected to the Order of the Coif and member of the Stanford Law Review
- Columbia University, BA in Economics cum laude, 1972
- Served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Ben C. Duniway of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Financial Lawyers Conference of Los Angeles
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- President of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, 1998-99; member since 1980
- Has twice been a member of the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, from 1987 through 1991, serving as Co-Chair in 1990-91; reappointed in 2011 and will be serving through 2015
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Member of the Board of Directors of Bet Tzedek
- Lawdragon 500 (2012)
- Served as special litigation counsel to the Creditors’ Committee in the chapter 11 cases of National Century Financial Enterprises, Inc., National Energy Gas & Transmission, Inc., Iridium Operating LLC, Pliant Corp. and Adelphia Communications, Corp.
- Served as general counsel to the Creditors’ Committee in the chapter 11 cases of First Alliance Mortgage Company, Prandium and Orange Medical Instruments
- Served as appellate counsel to the Debtor in the chapter 11 case of Computer Communications, Inc., and as trial and appellate counsel in connection with the bankruptcy cases of Barry’s Jewelers, Inc., Brobeck LLP, Crescent Jewelers, Inc., Dewey & LeBoeuf, LLP, Enron Corp., Heller Ehrman, LLP, IndyMac Bancorp., Jefferson County, Alabama, Lake at Las Vegas Joint Venture LLC, Tronox, Inc., Washington Group, Inc. and Washington Mutual, Inc.
- Served as trial counsel in In re San Juan Dupont Plaza Hotel Fire Litigation, MDL No. 721
- Served as creditor’s counsel in the chapter 11 cases of developers Donald Albrecht and H. Frank Dominguez, and as counsel for acquirers in the chapter 11 cases of GenSci Orthobiologics, Inc., SFS Industries, San Diego Television, Inc. and Santa Monica Beach Hotel, Ltd.
- Reported cases include: LID Acquisition, LLC v. Lake at Las Vegas Joint Venture, LLC (In re Lake at Las Vegas Joint Venture, LLC), 497 Fed. Appx. 709 (9th Cir. 2012); In re Dominguez, 51 F.3d 1502 (9th Cir. 1995); In re Dominguez, 995 F.2d 883 (9th Cir. 1993);In re Recticel Foam Corp., 859 F.2d 1000 (1st Cir. 1988); Computer Communications, Inc. v. Codex Corp., 824 F.2d 725 (9th Cir. 1987); In re Shaw, 16 B.R. 875 (Bankr. 9th Cir. 1982); Siegel v. F.D.I.C., 2012 WL 1951474 (C.D. Cal. 2012) & 2011 WL 2883012 (C.D. Cal. 2011); Enron Corp. v. Citigroup, Inc., (In re Enron Creditors Recovery Corp.), 410 B.R. 374 (S.D.N. Y. 2008); In re Enron Corp., 379 B.R. 425 (S.D.N.Y. 2007); Canada Life Assur. Co. v. Bank of America, 2006 WL 45427 (N.D. Ill. 2006); In re Jefferson County, Ala., 465 B.R. 243, 469 B.R. 92, 474 B.R. 228 & 474 B.R. 725 (Bkcy. N.D. Ala. 2012); In re IndyMac Bancorp, Inc., 2012 WL 103748 (Bkcy. C.D. Cal. 2012); In re Balas, 449 B.R. 567 (Bkcy. C.D. Cal. 2011); In re Adelphia Comm. Corp., 330 B.R. 364 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 2005)